<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<object xmlns:xs="//www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><field label="Title" name="title"><value>Trunk</value></field><field label="Date" name="displayDate"><value>c. 1820</value></field><field label="Dimensions" name="dimensions"><value>5 1/2 × 8 9/16 × 4 9/16"</value></field><field label="Medium" name="medium"><value>Paint, asphaltum, tinned sheet iron</value></field><field label="Credit Line" name="creditline"><value>Gift of the Historical Society of Early American Decoration, courtesy Elizabeth B. Swain</value></field><field label="Accession number" name="invno"><value>76.10</value></field><field label="On View" name="onview"><value>0</value></field><field label="Classifications" name="classification"/><field label="Id" name="id"><value>154905</value></field><field label="Source ID" name="sourceId"><value>4257</value></field><field label="Width" name="width"/><field label="Exhibitions" name="exhibitions"><value exhibitionDisplayDate="Thursday, July 11, 2002 - Sunday, January 5, 2003" exhibitionEndISODate="2003-01-26" exhibitionEndDate="2003" exhibitionISOBeginDate="2002-07-11" exhibitionBeginDate="2002" exhibitionTitle="American Anthem" exhibitionID="73"/><value exhibitionDisplayDate="Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - Sunday, October 7, 2012" exhibitionEndISODate="2012-10-07" exhibitionEndDate="2012" exhibitionISOBeginDate="2012-06-20" exhibitionBeginDate="2012" exhibitionTitle="COMPASS: Folk Art in Four Directions" exhibitionID="151"/><value exhibitionDisplayDate="Saturday, April 4, 1992 - Sunday, September 6, 1992" exhibitionEndISODate="1992-09-06" exhibitionEndDate="1992" exhibitionISOBeginDate="1992-04-04" exhibitionBeginDate="1992" exhibitionTitle="The Art of Embellishment" exhibitionID="406"/></field><field label="Height" name="height"/><field label="Alternative Numbers" name="altNums"/><field label="Depth" name="depth"/><field label="Primary Maker" name="primaryMaker"/><field label="Artist / Maker" name="people"><value displayOrder="1" personRole="Artist" personID="1956">Mercy North</value><value displayOrder="2" personRole="Manufacturer" personID="1955">North Tin Shop</value><value displayOrder="3" personRole="Manufacturer" personID="3388">Stephen North</value><value displayOrder="4" personRole="Manufacturer" personID="3389">Albert North</value></field><field label="Classification(s)" name="classifications"><value>Containers</value></field><field label="Copyright" name="copyright"><value>The American Folk Art Museum believes this work to be in the public domain.</value></field><field label="Object Type" name="thesconceptsObjecttype"><value>http://nodes.emuseum.com/BU1BGBAG/apis/emuseum/network/v1/vocabularies/termMaster24790</value></field><field label="Title (descriptive)" name="titlesDescriptive"/><field label="Title (popular)" name="titlesPopular"/><field label="Title (translated)" name="titlesTranslation"/><field label="Place/Region" name="geographyPlaceregion"><value>Fly Creek</value></field><field name="geographyCity"><value>Fly Creek</value></field><field name="geographyCountry"><value>United States</value></field><field name="geographyState"><value>New York</value></field><field label="Bibliography" name="bibliography"/><field label="Collections" name="collections"><value>Three Dimensional Works</value><value>eMuseum - Collection Highlights</value></field><field label="Department" name="department"/><field label="Flex Fields" name="flexFields"/><field label="Geography" name="geography"><value>Fly Creek</value></field><field label="Object Names" name="names"/><field label="Last Updated" name="recordLastUpdated"/><field label="Text Entries" name="textEntries"><value>Stephen North (1767–1842) apprenticed as a tinsmith in his native Berlin, Connecticut, but moved to Fly Creek (near Cooperstown), New York, in 1789, after the birth of his first son, Albert. He established the North Shop to manufacture plain and decorated wares, and he also worked as a farmer, merchant, and mechanic. He and his wife, Susannah, helped found the Cooperstown Presbyterian Church in 1800 and the Presbyterian Church at Fly Creek in 1828. The North Shop operated until the middle of the nineteenth century and eventually was run by Albert. The female members of the family probably flowered the tinware. Mottled and grained backgrounds, a brushstroke shaped like a soup ladle, vermilion and white bands with multiple brushstroke borders, and dots between brushstrokes are distinctive characteristics of their work. The only signed piece bears the name of the Norths' daughter Mercy (1798–1872), who married in 1826 and moved to Harwick, New York.

Stacy C. Hollander, "Trunk," in American Anthem: Masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum (New York: Harry N. Abrams in association with American Folk Art Museum, 2001), 318.</value></field><field label="Terms" name="thesconcepts"><value>http://nodes.emuseum.com/BU1BGBAG/apis/emuseum/network/v1/vocabularies/termMaster24790</value></field><field label="Titles" name="titles"/><field label="Title (artist's/given)" name="titlesArtists"/><field label="Title (former)" name="titlesFormer"/><field label="Title (inscribed)" name="titlesInscribed"/><field label="Type" name="type"/><field label="Materials" name="thesconceptsMaterials"><value>http://nodes.emuseum.com/BU1BGBAG/apis/emuseum/network/v1/vocabularies/termMaster24790</value></field><field label="Technique" name="thesconceptsTechnique"><value>http://nodes.emuseum.com/BU1BGBAG/apis/emuseum/network/v1/vocabularies/termMaster24790</value></field><field label="ArchiveSpace" name="altNumsArchivespace"/><field label="Media" name="media"><value mediaDepartment="Object Photographs" mediaType="Image" mediaURL="https://collection.folkartmuseum.org/internal/media/dispatcher/4241/full" mediaId="4241"/></field><field label="Begin Date" name="beginDate"><value>1815</value></field><field label="End Date" name="endDate"><value>1825</value></field><field label="Sort Number" name="sortNumber"><value>    76    10                                                                    </value></field><field name="textEntriesWebsitedisplaytext"><value>Stephen North (1767–1842) apprenticed as a tinsmith in his native Berlin, Connecticut, but moved to Fly Creek (near Cooperstown), New York, in 1789, after the birth of his first son, Albert. He established the North Shop to manufacture plain and decorated wares, and he also worked as a farmer, merchant, and mechanic. He and his wife, Susannah, helped found the Cooperstown Presbyterian Church in 1800 and the Presbyterian Church at Fly Creek in 1828. The North Shop operated until the middle of the nineteenth century and eventually was run by Albert. The female members of the family probably flowered the tinware. Mottled and grained backgrounds, a brushstroke shaped like a soup ladle, vermilion and white bands with multiple brushstroke borders, and dots between brushstrokes are distinctive characteristics of their work. The only signed piece bears the name of the Norths' daughter Mercy (1798–1872), who married in 1826 and moved to Harwick, New York.

Stacy C. Hollander, "Trunk," in American Anthem: Masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum (New York: Harry N. Abrams in association with American Folk Art Museum, 2001), 318.</value></field></object>